The Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) recently announced the selection of the first 1000 African entrepreneurs for the Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Programme (TEEP). TEEP is a $100 million initiative to discover and support 10,000 African entrepreneurs over the next decade, with a target of creating 1 million new jobs and $10 billion in additional revenues in the process.
Over 20,000 African entrepreneurs from 52 countries applied to the programme, representing the creativity and potential on display across the continent. The initial 1,000 selected for the 2015 class are a remarkable group of entrepreneurs who are a testament to the ability of Africa’s own entrepreneurs to drive Africa’s growth and development.
The winners represent 52 African countries and territories, as well as a multitude of value adding sectors ranging from agriculture to education to fashion and ICT. The top five countries in terms of numbers of winners are Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda, South Africa and Ghana. All five African regions – North, East, Southern, Central and West Africa are represented, as well as all major language blocs – Anglophone, Francophone, Lusophone, and Arabic Africa. More than anything else, they epitomise the opportunity and promise of Africa.
There were only 29 Women among the 168 Kenyans who were selected to join the 2015 Entrepreneurship Program. This is low number considering that there were Over 20,000 African entrepreneurs from 52 countries who applied to the programme this year.
There is still a great need to have more women going into entrepreneurship as new technology renders some functions in traditional job market obsolete. We at Afromum congratulate all the 29 women who will be joining this program and hope that we will have more women being accepted in the 2016 program.
- Akello Sarah, Tourism/Hospitality
- Chege Grace, Agriculture
- Effie Serah, Fashion
- Gicharu Amanda, Others
- Howard Elizabeth, Financial Services
- Imisa Eileen Ambasa, Education and Training
- Imunde Everlyn, Education and Training
- Kaiyoni Marrion, Agriculture
- Kamaitha Florence, Manufacturing/Industry
- Kima Ann, Others
- Machera Mumbi, Agriculture
- Mtongolo Caroline, Agriculture
- Muriiithi Winnie, Commercial/Retail
- Murunga Elizabeth, Others
- Mwanziu Jane, Multiple
- Ndung’u Tabitha, Agriculture
- Ngugi Janet, Education and Training
- Njenga Catherine, Waste Management
- Njeri Janet, FMCG
- Nyagah Ruth, Agriculture
- Nyalwal Margaret, Multiple
- Nyariki Lily, Commercial/Retail
- Peter Susan Mwikali, Agriculture
- Rukaria-kaumbutho Rachel, Healthcare
- Shikuku Sharon, Construction
- Waikunu Asuntah, Education and Training
- Wambita Annie, Healthcare
- Wanene Sarah, Agriculture
- Wanjohi Angela, ICT