Being called a parent is one of the greatest gifts on earth but infertility has robbed many people of this chance. Along with the joy of having a biological child, infertility has led to a lot of misery in the form of women being ostracized, isolated, disinherited or assaulted.
The issue of infertility has caused many divorces as well which is a harsh reality. According to the Merck Foundation, 50% of infertility cases are caused by men. The Chief Executive Officer of the Merck Foundation Rasha Kelej says that there are treatment interventions that can be used to treat some of the infertility cases.
According to the Mayo Clinic, a couple should be concerned about fertility if they have been trying to get pregnant for one year. Those who are above the age of 35 should be concerned if they have been trying to get pregnant for at least six months. In such instances, it is important for the couple to talk. On this, Kelej added that men have to talk with their wives to know the causes of infertility for treatment to work.
She also said that there some cases of infertility that can be easily prevented if people embraced a healthy lifestyle. After conducting some research, here are some lifestyle habits we may need to stop to ensure that our fertility is not affected.
What to do
• Ensuring that you are not overweight or underweight will help to ensure that hormone production and normal ovulation are not affected in any way. Having healthy weight also increases the frequency of ovulation and the likelihood of getting pregnant.
• Eating a healthy diet is desirable for any human being who is trying to conceive or not.
• Gonorrhea and Chlamydia among other Sexually Transmitted Infections are among the leading causes of infertility in women. Ensure that you practice safe sex and limit the number of sexual partners, better yet just stay in a monogamous relationship with an uninfected person.
• Regular checkups are essential for anyone who is concerned about their fertility because they can reveal any threat to your fertility for early treatment.
• Working at night may also affect hormone production thereby putting you at risk of infertility. If you are forced to work at night, you should try to get as much sleep as you can when you leave work.
• It is also advisable to try and relax when you are trying to conceive but that does not mean that you cannot get pregnant when stressed.
What not to do
• Do not smoke. Unknown to many women, smoking ages ovaries and depletes eggs prematurely leading to infertility. If you need to stop smoking you can ask your health provider for help.
• Getting involved in too much vigorous activity can inhibit ovulation and reduce production of the progesterone hormone. If you want to get pregnant soon, you should limit vigorous exercises to about five hours every week. Overweight women may have to consult their health care providers for the ideal exercise for a person of their weight and who desires to conceive.
• Avoid any exposure to toxins and this mostly applies to hairstylists, agricultural workers as well as other women who may have menstrual disorders. Dental assistants who are normally exposed to a lot of nitrous oxide, people who are exposed to a lot of organic solvents like dry cleaning chemicals may also be at risk of becoming infertile. The same applies to industrial workers.
As aforementioned, men are equally at risk for infertility and they are affected by bad lifestyle habits as well. Here are some of the habits to avoid,
• Use of heated gadgets such as laptops on their lap for a long time can cause low sperm count and quality.
• Prolonged cycling can cause infertility among men as well. Additionally, cycling can exert pressure behind their testicles (perineum) which causes the penis to become numb and erectile dysfunction as well.
• Nicotine and tobacco is known to damage sperm and reduce its count as well. This means that a man who is trying to have a baby may need to stop smoking as well.
• Most men who want to have the best and celebrated bodies may start taking anabolic steroids which are unexpected triggers of infertility for them. It is advisable to avoid the steroids if you and your partner want to get a baby.
• You should avoid being stressed as well as this may affect your readiness to have a baby as well.
• Men should watch their weight as well because infertility cases may be triggered by people being overweight.
• You may need to consult your doctor first if you need to change your lifestyle for the sake of your fertility.