You know you have a problem when you have access to 70% of the secured WiFi in Nairobi
That is what my friend @DanObura tweeted earlier today.
You know you have a problem when you have 70% access to all the secured wifi in Nairobi
— ✩ 254’s pacer ✩ (@danobura) July 14, 2014
We will refer to that problem by its proper term; Internet Addiction Disorder (IAD).
The landing of fiber optic cables in Kenya brought with it a problem that nether doctors nor Mututho can provide a prescription for.
The first step in finding a solution is admitting that the problem exists. I have struggled with this and I am therefore not a self-righteous psychiatrist.
Here are 10 signs that you are an Internet addict.
1. You can’t remember the last time your phone was off for more than 10 minutes.
2. You can’t travel to shags (upcountry) for more than 1 day because there is no electricity.
3. You ask for the WiFi password at a restaurant before asking for the menu.
4. You rate cafes and restaurants based on their provision to WiFi and power sockets
5. You have installed ALL the following apps on your phone, hootsuite, plume andTwitter app. you also have the tweetdeck page under favorites on your mobile and desktop browser.
6. The first thing you do when you wake up is check your notifications.
7. You say ‘Good Morning’ and “Good Night ” to your fellow addicts.
8. You are always tempted to introduce yourself by your twitter handle in gatherings
9. You hold more conversations online than in real life.
10. Your spouse or significant other has asked you to put the phone down (unless you are both addicts and whats app each other just to get one to change the TV channel.
At this rate, we need something equivalent to AA meetings ( Alcoholics Annonymous ) for the many Kenyans like me finding themselves addicted and still in denial.