However you pronounce it, “mimi” or “meh-meh” or “miim”, most of us have encountered one either on Facebook, Twitter or as a WhatsApp share. According to Wiki, An Internet meme, is an activity, concept, catchphrase or piece of media which spreads, often as mimicry, from person to person via the Internet.
An Internet meme may take the form of an image, hyperlink, video, picture, website, or hashtag. It may be just a word or phrase, including an intentional misspelling. These small movements tend to spread from person to person via social networks, blogs, direct email, or news sources.
According to CNN, Internet memes actually have been in active circulation for decades. They existed long before the arrival of web 2.0, social networking and the so-called viral industry, back when 56K dial-up was your only key to the World Wide Web and even before that, during the bygone years of Usenet newsgroups.
In the wake of Web 2.0, Internet Memes have taken a life of their own due to the numerous platforms they can be shared on. The inspiration for the Memes are also been seen to come from anything and everything including famous movies, celebrities, personalities or even events.
It is however interesting to see how Africans have taken memes and used them to laugh at the many stereotypes and misconceptions that the world has about us and the African continent.
Lets take a look at some of the most creatively done Memes about Africa(ns)
1. Hunger in Africa
3. We need saving by white celebrities
4. The most common quote regarding Africa is, “In Africa, every Minute (60 Seconds)…. either a baby dies or some disaster of some sort takes place in that 1 minute”
5. We are always Hungry……. for food
6. Camera tricks do help get more aid to Africa.
9. Angry birds to us means something very different
10. We can pretty much predict what will happen with the Ebola Outbreak